What’s the process?
- Visit the pet you are interested in or ask a staff to help you find your match.
- If you have other dogs, we will conduct a meet and greet for your dog and a WCHS adoptable dog at our shelter.
- Complete the adoption application.
- Once approved, we will go over vaccination history and discuss best practices to assist your pet’s transition to a new home.
- Sign legal contract acknowledging your responsibilities to your new pet. Pup or kitty goes home with you!
*We aim to do same day adoptions providing a manager is present or has provided verbal approval to WCHS staff. That stated, at staff discretion, we may ask for an additional 24-hour wait to further review your application and whether the animal may be a good fit with your family. If you are driving a distance we encourage you to email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting an application before scheduling a visit.
What are the open hours for visiting and adopting?
Tues-Fri: 10am-Noon and 4-6pm
Mon: – Closed
*Hours may vary on holidays.
What are the requirements to adopt?
- You must be at least 18 years of age to adopt and provide legal proof upon request.
- You must spend time with the pet you are interested in before applying.
- You must complete the necessary paperwork and pay the adoption fee. If an animal is not yet fixed, a refundable spay/neuter deposit of $100 is required.
What are the adoption fees at WCHS?
- Large Adult Dogs: $150 +tax
- Small & Medium Adult Dogs: $175 +tax
- Puppies: $195 +tax
- Cats: $75 +tax
- Kittens: $100 +tax
*Exclusions may apply.
What does the adoption fee cover?
- All pets are spayed/neutered. No exceptions. We only transfer ownership when an animal is fixed. We cover the cost of spay/neuter.
- All pets go home up to date on vaccinations according to age. Dogs receive DAPP, Rabies, and Bordatella. Cats receive Rabies and FVRCP/Ch vaccines.
- Our pets are microchipped
- Pets are dewormed
- We provide adopters a 6.6lb bag of NutriSource dog or cat food to help you transition your adopted pet into your home.
- Paws & Prairie Health Exam Voucher to be used within 30 days of adoption (covers only office fee)
Is the adoption fee refundable?
No, the adoption fee is non-refundable and is considered a donation to our organization even if you change your mind within 24 hours. The adoption fees are much lower than the actual costs that go into caring for each pet at WCHS. In rare cases, we may approve a 7-day trial adoption but this requires manager approval.
Can I exchange a pet?
No, we never allow pet exchanges as pets are not disposable. We advocate forever responsibility – forever adoptions.
What if it doesn’t work out?
- Please call us at 218-632-5938 to discuss the issues you are facing before returning. Often there are solutions to the problems that you are facing and we may be able to help.
- We accept returns but adoption fees are in almost all cases non-refundable.
- There is no surrender fee and we will always take our dogs and cats back to help them find a better match. We are No-Kill and require adopters re-homing an adopted pet to first contact us.
What if it does work out?
Share updates with us by joining the “Wadena County Humane Society ADOPTERS” group on Facebook. Volunteers and staff love to see the shelter pets happy and loved in a home!